Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

How to make Windows 7 remember network share credentials

Microsoft Windows 7 (and perhaps Microsoft Windows Vista) depicted an annoyance today. I bought Synology DS409 NAS and created a network share. Then I mapped that shared network drive using the username and password combination on NAS. It mapped perfectly fine, but the moment I restarted computer and went into Windows Explorer, the drive was shown disconnected. When I clicked on it, Windows 7 asked me put the username and password again despite having checked the box that says remember password. So every time I reboot, it kept loosing the credentials till I performed following steps:

  1. Click on Start icon
  2. Click on "Control Panel"
  3. Click on "User Accounts and Family Safety"
  4. Click on "Credential Manager"
  5. In "Windows Credentials" section, click on "Add a windows credential"
  6. In Internet or network address, type your address, e.g. "\\machineName\SharedDrive"
  7. Type in Username and Password in the respective boxes and click Ok button.
  8. Close Control Panel Window and restart computer. If it reconnects your mapped network drive without asking for credentials, above exercise was successful.

If you try above and it works for you, kindly drop a line.

No comments: